What is COVID-19?
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is an illness caused by a virus that can spread fromperson to person. The virus that causes COVID-19 is a new coronavirus that hasspread throughout the world. COVID-19 symptoms can range from mild (or no symptoms) to severe illness.
How does COVID-19 spread?
You can become infected by coming into close contact (about 6 feet or two arm lengths) with a person who has COVID-19. COVID-19 is primarily spread fromperson to person. You can become infected from respiratory droplets when aninfected person coughs, sneezes, or talks. You may also be able to get it bytouching a surface or object that has the virus on it, and then by touching yourmouth, nose, or eyes.
How to protect yourself from COVID-19?
- There is currently no vaccine to protect against COVID-19. The best way to protect yourself is to avoid being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19.
- Stay home as much as possible and avoid close contact with others.
- Wear a cloth face covering that covers your nose and mouth in public settings.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
- Practice social distancing.
- Buy groceries and medicine, go to the doctor, and complete banking activitiesonline when possible.
- If you must go in person, stay at least 6 feet away from-others and disinfect itemsyou must touch.
- Get deliveries and takeout, and limit in-person contact as much as possible.
Prevent the spread of Covid-19
Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care | Avoid public transportation, ride-sharing, or taxis. Separate yourself from other people andpets in your home | There is no specific treatment for COVID-19, but you canseek medical care to help relieve your symptoms | If you need medical attention,call ahead | Know your risk for severe illness | Everyone is at risk of gettingCOVID-19 | Older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions may be at higher risk for more severe illness.